View Single Post
Unread 04/17/2013, 10:53 PM   #19
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riely View Post
hey im new to NPS and thinking of getting a sun coral. looking for some basic info on them and things you have found to keep them looking good like do u have to feed every head every time and will they only come out at night or under actinics im runing LEDS 120w 3v ran at 2v

Riely - i feed my sun corals every other night. I use a squirter thing called "Julian's thing" and a small turkey baster. They do need to be fed meaty foods (brine, mysis, blood worms).

However, I would recommend that when you first get them - to feed them every night. Most of the corals you get from the LFS are in bad shape so i would recommend feeding them nightly for a month or so to restore any tissue recession.

There are 2 basic kinds of sun corals - the dendros (Dendrophyllia see my pix) and the regular sun corals (Tubastrea). The dendros will stay open most of the day whereas the Tubastrea will tend to open only at night. But if you have a regular routine of feeding they will learn to open when you are ready to feed them.

I find the tricky part of feeding them is to keep the fish away. Some people use a 2L bottle thats been cut out to make sure the fish don't take the food from the corals. My routine is to feed right after lights out.

They are beautify corals and if you are ready to spend a bit of time feeding them, well worth it.

If you keep SPS corals together with sun corals - you will need a good size skimmer to maintain your water quality.

Hope that helps!

noy is offline   Reply With Quote