View Single Post
Unread 02/07/2012, 06:04 PM   #60
phasezero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
I wanted to revive this thread because I'm pretty sure I have some monster amphipods munching on a healthy acan. I've seen them at night at the edges of the acans. I think that when amphipods get large enough they get powerful enough to get at healthy flesh. Anybody else ever deal with this or am I crazy? I've read about interceptor having a positive effect and I'd be willing to bet it's because it kills pods.
You aren't crazy. Just when i thought the amphipods in my tank only had a taste for zoas and pally's, which is the reason i switched to an SPS tank only, just this last two weeks i found out they'll even go for particular sps too. I had a pocilllopora frag that had been doing great the last few weeks, I moved him to the rocks and just over night, i wake up to find the tissue chewed up a little with every single polyp eaten. It's 100% not RTN, nothing has flaked off leaving bare white skeleton. Two weeks before i woke up and found 2 or 3 large amphipods chomping away at my yellow fuzzy acro. After i blew them away i found the same type eroded tissue that i saw on my pocillopora. The fuzzy is doing great on frag rack.

phasezero is offline   Reply With Quote