View Single Post
Unread 07/23/2015, 01:21 PM   #165
nogascans
Registered Member

Great reading and my thanks to all for their experiences. After going thru most of my long adulthood always wanting to dive (been snorkeling since 1974), and after a few "resort courses" on family vacations over past two years, I took the "plunge" and got myself PADI Open Water certified! I did the online course but took my time and read/re-read and watched videos before actually meeting with my PADI instructor and doing my in-class paperwork and discussions, and pool work.

Ended up doing the Open Water section over two days with a total of 6 dives. My instructor was very thorough with all the sections, and made for a very enjoyable experience. Beside in-class discussions on out-of-air emergencies, he stressed the importance of remaining calm and always be thinking of a solution. He did discuss before one dive that we would he would present me with a buddy out of air emergency, but I never knew until it happened when that would be. Definitely got my full attention and understanding of remaining calm even when you buddy was the exact opposite. Best part of dive!

After having previous experiences with blue-water diving (Discovery) in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Honduras with their exquisite visibilities, the lake experience with visibility from 3ft-15ft was an eye-opener. Made me very aware of keeping in close proximity with dive partner as you could easily loose sight with silt filled water.

I will continue to follow this thread and hope to learn much!

Sincerely,

David

nogascans is offline   Reply With Quote