View Single Post
Unread 09/28/2006, 01:16 AM   #281
kgross
Premium Member

When I say offset fence I mean the same setup as Northens first diagram. You put the material between the fence and the bit so it is all the same size. If you setup the fence next to the bit, or use a straight edge or a jointer you can clean the edge up to make a good glue joint, but ever piece can end up a different size as well as you can loose your square corners. If you put the material between the fence and bit, the edge you are cutting stays perfectly parallal to the edge against the fence.

Now this is the most unsafe way of running a router and if you talk to most woodworkers they will tell you it is a big no no. But does do a very good job on what we need and I always suggest you use featherboards to keep the material against the fence, and they will also help to make sure the material does not kick back at you.

Kim

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
kgross is offline   Reply With Quote