View Single Post
Unread 01/05/2002, 10:53 PM   #24
reefburnaby
Registered Member

Hi,

Availability of other T8s.

I believe Zoomed and Hagen make actinics in the T8 format. If you search around in this board, you'll find more info on this.

Brightness comparison.

I really don't know since I don't have an Icecap. This idea has brought up a big stir in our local club in Vancouver, Canada. We have a couple of members investigating this topic. Hopefully, we will be able to report some results in the near future.

Coralife.

I guess the easiest way is to drive the ballast with two 18" t8s -- basically replace a 40W tube with the T8. This should give you about 2 to 3 times overdrive -- and it will be quite bright. Just check if the ballast gets too hot -- in most cases it will be fine.

Update on my tank.

Well, its been running for about 3 months or so. So far, it is working quite well and the tubes are holding up. There is slight blackening of the tube ends, but it does not seem to affect the output. Currently, I am running 90 G with 3 overdriven NOs (total of 240W) - 2 6500K and 1 actinic. On a positive note, I have been able to keep SPS in this tank and have them grow. I have a couple of green/brown/red acroporas and montiporas -- all of them are seeing some growth. SPS are placed in the middle of the tank. I also have a variety of softies and LPS -- all corals are doing well. Maybe someday I will try a blue acro frag...and see how that fares.

- Victor.

reefburnaby is offline   Reply With Quote