View Single Post
Unread 06/19/2017, 12:37 PM   #29
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
Most of the guys posting on your thread have zero experience with this species of vermetid snail.

You cannot eradicate them with reduced feeding or superglue.

Manual removal will not work. They will always come back to plague proportions.

I know because it happened to me.

The only thing that worked was tearing my whole tank down, sterilizing everything and starting over. If you want them gone for good, that's what you have to do.

Then moving forward, inspect, Bayer dip and QT EVERYTHING. Oh and obviously start with dead rock.

If you're unwilling to go that route, be prepared to manually remove them forever.

The problem with manual removal is you'll never get all of them. If you miss one, it'll reproduce. But even if you do get all of them, you can bet your butt there's larva crawling around somewhere. They'll show up soon enough. And as you know, they don't just live on rock. They live in the overflow, on pumps, sumps, heaters, skimmers, cables, everything.

EVERYTHING has to be sterilized.
There is some promising information on fenbendazole, an animal dewormer. Seems its an effective treatment for hydroids, but a great side effect of killing vermetid snails. There is a decent thread on it on another reefing site. I'm considering treatment, even though I only have a few, they are starting to reproduce faster.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote