View Single Post
Unread 09/11/2011, 11:17 AM   #15
Spaced Cowboy
South Bay Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4Me2 View Post
Nice job with the stand! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldy132 View Post
stand looks amazing!
I'm really pleased with it. Consider that I've never used a router-table or mitre-saw before; people were ... skeptical All those cuts have to be dead-on when you're making something that's over 8' long, or the tiny imperfections will cause you to be out by 1/32 of an inch at the opposite end to where you started. That might not sound much, but 1/32 of an inch is very visible on a mitre-cut.

I did my research - I bought magazines on finishing wood, and learnt the difference between dyes and stains, how not to tear or burn the wood when routing it, etc.

The other thing that surprised me was just how much wood I went through by doing the wrap-around-the-columns thing. The mitering of all those little bits to protrude out then go back into the stand plane took a heavy toll on my self-built moldings. If I were doing it again, I'd make more moldings!

Although it looks complex when it's finished, to build it isn't actually that complex - it's hard (because I'm only a novice woodworker ) but it's not complex. For example...

...the pillars at the ends and center are just a shallow box laid flat on top of the vertical front of the tank, then I used the router to create a molding along the inside edge of an inlay piece, mitered the corners so they'd fit nicely; put 4 of them together and you have a nice piece of relief-detail that looks complex, but really isn't. You don't want to know how many times I walked back and forth from the garage (where the mitre saw is) to the tank, having shaved off another fraction of a millimeter to get the inlays to fit...

... anyway, today is my wedding anniversary, so no DIY, just PWA (pay wife attention

Simon.

Spaced Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote