View Single Post
Unread 09/27/2017, 09:31 AM   #247
Subsea
Registered Member

Iron in Miracle Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjetlag View Post
Update: Seem to have found the source of the problem...or at least something very concerning. Some at my LFS had expressed concern about black sand and had seen similar issues with their SPS (browning, lack of polyp extension, followed by tissue necrosis). After losing several more SPS frags and watching some small acan colonies suffer and waste, I decided to remove 80lbs of black sand from my tank (CaribSea live black sand).

Please see the attached pic. This is a Tunze rare earth magnet used to mount powerheads on glass up to 1/2". Think there are any metals in the sand??

That was over 2 weeks ago and things are starting to come back. A goni that had spent its entire time withdrawn has extended again. Unfortunately, a couple of SPS's were beyond help and have since succumbed. The acan colonies are looking better though.

I used one packet of the Two Little Fishies MetaSorb (removes several metals and medications from aquaria) and it turned slightly orange/red. I replaced it with a second packet recently.

BJ,
Some years ago, before adding Miracle Mud to a system, a good friend used a magnet and found iron particles. At the time, we thought this was a bad thing. I now add Flourish Iron to all my marine tanks. I have seen it green-up green macro algae and on my Gracilaria Hayi tumble culture it changed color from an off red to a dark burgendy in less than two days.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote