View Single Post
Old 09/13/2018, 07:05 AM   #5
reefgeezer
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
The muriatic acid dip should kill the GHA on the rock, and you probably can remove the layer with phosphate. A 20 minute dip in 1 part acid added to 10 parts water should be fine.

You could consider using lanthanum chloride and GFO to remove the phosphate, as well. That would avoid using toxic chemicals, but might take longer.
I've dipped old rock before. It does take a layer off of the rock that has bound phosphates, algae build-up, and etc.. Unfortunately, it exposes a new layer that, according to how the rock was formed, may also have a high quantity of bound phosphates. If you have the time, you might consider putting the newly bathed rock into a vat and doing a Lanthanum Chloride treatment to finish the process completely.


__________________
John,

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is online now   Reply With Quote