View Single Post
Unread 05/21/2017, 07:44 AM   #24
jason2459
Registered Member

And to add I haven't used a hydrometer in years. I use several instruments to determin salinity. An analog refractometer, 2 digital refractometers, and 2 different makes of conductivity meters. So, I have no stake in defending a hydrometer.

Most ALL test kits or equipment are perfectly fine for our hobby. There are a few I found lacking. Chasing numbers can be fun for some but could easily lead to disaster for others.

Seawater is very complex and so much that over many centuries how seater is defined and tested has changed numerous times and probably will again in the future. Even something like ICP-OES is terrible at testing the trace and even minor elements in seawater. Its just ok for the major elements. And is easily influenced by the methods used to prepare, perform, and analyze the testing.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote