View Single Post
Unread 06/24/2019, 04:53 AM   #62
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I am sure that someone will be able to isolate and growth cultures of Zooxanthellae, like the scientists in the link you provided above. However, I do not think that the bottle of

Algagen PhycoPure™ Zooxanthellae (Assorted species) Item: BEH-84761(as per Live Aquaria)
would provide live or usable strains of zooxanthellae as claimed.
I think isolate growing them in control setting is one thing, but then bottle them up and put them on shelf of stores where they are in there, non aerated, no temp control, no light for days, weeks or months; any living organism in there would be long gone by the time we dump it into our tank. My most likely guess would be we just dump some expensive dirty water into our tank.

While I maybe completely wrong about this but I have attempt to keep living culture of various organism before. Each organism does have very specific condition where it thrive at. For cultures of this sort, having verified viable sample, transport overnight in thermally isolated condition is likely need to keep it viable. Also, there are a numbers of Zooxanthellae strains. Those that living in one coral, even of the same species, may not be the same as those that live in another coral. There also evidence of a numbers of species of Zooxanthellae living in the same host.

This is part of the disclaimer of the Scientist that culture these zooxanthellae. If you want to request a sample, you must agree in written before they transfer a sample of these zooxanthellae to you:

Transfer of BURR Cultures Agreement FormName: ________________________________________________________________Email address: __________________________________________________________Phone number: __________________________________________________________Address to ship samples:FedEX (or other overnight courier) Number: _________________________________List of cultures requested:Culture IDClade/cp-type*Culture ID Clade/cp-type**cp-type- symbiont strain based on fragment size of hypervariable region of chloroplast 23S rDNACost - $90.00 per culture plus a $13.00 administrative fee Summary of intended use of cultures:You acknowledge that many of our cultures are not axenic or well characterized. Furthermore, our cultures are not necessarily representative of the symbionts within the host from which they were isolated. We have verified this for somecultures, but not for all. This point is important when reporting any findings from these cultures. However, if you agree to several things, then I am happy to authorize the transfer

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote