View Single Post
Unread 07/29/2017, 09:46 PM   #5
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
Where do you intend to keep it, and how presentable do you want it to be? If going in a spare room, outbuilding, insulated garage/basement etc the aesthetics may not matter, and opens up a ton of options as far as setup. A frag tank that doesnt have to be wife approved is a ton easier (and cheaper!!!!) to set up. A used tank and stand, a livestock tub or half-barrel, all sorts of enclosures and ideas become feasable. A popular way to go is a big used livestock water tub (from a ranching or farm type supply house) and a few pumps, a skimmer, and a used light fixture. Done. Eggcrate for racks, PVC plumbing bits, etc.

My old setup was an 4 foot 80 gallon rubbermaid livestock water tub ($20 at a yard sale) A huge craigslist skimmer ($30) and an old 6-bulb T5HO fixture that I got for $50 at a hydroponics store when they rebuilt the front of the store. I built eggcrate racks, threw it all together, and added a few spare pumps and a heater to it. Had it up on a small rack just to get it off the floor by 16" and have some basic storage. Had it set up in the back room of my house by the back door (that nobody ever used, just occasionally cracked it open for air in summer) and let it go to town. this cheapo setup would grow LPS (Acans, Blastos, Duncans mostly) and Montipora like you wouldn't believe! I eventually took out the skimmer, and pumbed in another (15 gallon or so) tub full of chaeto, and then I was getting so much growth out of that tank that I was having a hard time selling it all... In the two years I had it going, I was constantly having to call around and get buyers because I was running out of room so fast.

Trying to do one that looks good is much more expensive, but still not too bad. In my honest opinion the majority of the frag tanks for sale (deep blue professional, and similar) are way more expensive than they need to be, and a bit too nice for a working frag system that isn't in a retail environment. If all you are trying to do is have a working setup any tank will do, but shallow is definitely better, and that's where the purpose-made tanks shine.

lingwendil is offline   Reply With Quote