View Single Post
Unread 04/07/2011, 12:53 AM   #1
azreefgeek
Registered Member

azreefgeek 100g Automated In-Wall Tank Build

It all started with a dream...A boys dream...A naive boy who saw the tank he had dreamed about on craigslist for $100.

Assuming it was the start of a quick and inexpensive tank build, he promptly drove to BFE for target recon and ultimately acquisition.

Upon return to the compound (remember this is my dream), a structure was quickly erected to house the magnificent tank that was acquired.

Staring at in the frame he thought, "hmm what am I missing?". That's when he woke up and realized he was in over his head...

The Goal
My goal is to create a nearly fully automated aquarium setup that can sustain it self for up to 1 month at a time with most of my interaction remote. I will accomplish this through the use of a Control4 Home automation System and a Neptune Apex Controller. I tried working with a GHL Profilux III first, but had a slew of technical issues just getting it operational. I will be writing a Control4 driver to use in conjunction with the Apex to bring real time tank stats, trigger feedings or the lights via the touch screen displays throughout my house or remotely. I have purchased the water exchange module for automating water changes an additional dosing pump for topping off RODI from my 30gal storage tanks in the laundry room.

Current Parts List:
1 x 100 Gallon Dual View Acrylic Tank with Dual Side Overflows and drilled for a Closed Loop
1 x 55 Gallon Sump / Refugium
2 x Ecoxotic 12k White 50w Canons
2 x Ecoxotic 453nm Blue 50w Canons
1 x IceCap Blue 4ft LED Moonlight Strip
1 x IceCap White 4ft LED Moonlight Strip
1 x Clip On Full Spectrum 5100K CFL PAR38 Reflector (For the Refugium)
2 x Bluline 30HD X 1,110GPH Pumps (return / closed loop)
1 x ASM G3 Skimmer with Sedra 500 Pump
1 x Bulk Reef Supply Dual Reactor
1 x Neptune Systems Apex Aquarium Controller
2 x Neptune Systems Apex EnergyBar 8
1 x Oceans Motions OM Squirt 2 Way Wave Maker
1 x Emperor Aquatics 40 Watt Smart UV Sterilizer w/ Wiper
1 x Pinpoint Calcium Monitor
1 x Finnex TH-0800 800W Titanium Heater
1 x Finnex HC810M Controller
1 x SpectraPure MaxCap UHE-100 RODI
1 x SpectraPure LiterMeter 3 Peristaltic Dosing Pump
1 x SpectraPure LiterMeter Water eXchange Module
1 x SpectraPure LiterMeter Remote Pump Module
2 x 33 Gallon Clear/Natural Drums with Removable Lids (RODI/Saltwater Storage in Laundry Room)
1 x TripLite 1500 UPS Battery Backup

Current Status
Lighting is hung, and the controller is programmed and on the network. I will be starting to plumb this weekend and then drywall after that :-)

Last edited by azreefgeek; 04/07/2011 at 01:47 AM.
azreefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote