View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2007, 10:48 AM   #4
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Let's take apart those external HQI ballasts shall we?

Ok, everything was electrically safe, and the fixture is pretty well built. In fact, for those of you familliar with the Coralife HQI light, the outer housing of this light is absolutely identical, so I believe that the coralife hanger will work on it. I have not seen internals of the coralife, so I cannot say if the reflectors/wiring and such is the same... I doubt it since I don't believe Coralife makes a 2x250W HQI + 4x55W PC.

There are a pair of switches on the fixture. One is for the fan, the other is for the PC's. There are individual power cords for everything. The PC's have 1, the moonlights have 1, the fan has 1, and there are 2 cords for the HQI ballasts.

The only change that I am going to make is to put a small fan in the HQI ballast box. The ballasts don't get hot on the outside, but I can only imagine that the heat sinks on the output transistors get smokin. They will benefit from some airflow.

Anyhow, I don't have pics of the light on the tank. I will try to get those up next week. The moonlights are incredible... very well done. The 4xPC actinics really make the corals pop. The HQI's are probably 10K and a little too yellow IMO. I will change these to 14K's at some point, but for now I'll see if I get used to the color.

My overall opinion of this light is fairly well built, good deal, no complaints. More reviews to follow.

-J