View Single Post
Unread 12/08/2017, 02:41 PM   #37
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT View Post
Hi natural reef,

As you say, everyone must choose their own risks. My experience, dating back to 1972 and as a former moderator of this forum, is there are few risks a new aquarist can take that are more hazardous and more likely to drive the aquarist away from the hobby than putting un-quarantined fish in a display tank. Few experiences are more disheartening than introducing a new fish, having half your livestock die over the next few weeks, and then being told that the only way to eradicate the infestation is to remove all the fish for 72 days.

In my early years as a saltwater aquarist, I was rarely able to keep fish alive longer than a year, mainly because a high percentage of the fish I acquired from my local LFS (where I was working at the time) would either reintroduce or reignite a Crypto infestation. I think that's a pretty common experience. When I introduced a strict quarantine program, that changed. Yes, some fish don't survive quarantine and some of them might have if I had skipped it. No, I don't equate the life of a new fish as equal to the life of my current ones... that may sound cold hearted, but I think it's being realistic.

There are sufficient reports about aquarists who have managed to control Crypto and other parasites through immunology, or maybe using filter feeders, for me to believe it can be done. However, I do not believe the majority of aquarists, especially new ones, are able to achieve this, particularly since because there is no reliable formula for doing so. To advise new aquarists to try this seems irresponsible.

I wholeheartedly agree. Prevention by QT is SO much easier IME

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote