View Single Post
Unread 11/09/2011, 06:25 PM   #79
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

First for the PAR measurements in the water I kept this pretty plain and simple. All pendants were 12" from the surface of the water for this first measurement. I took a PAR reading directly under the center of the module. I then took a measurement that was 6" to the left of center of the module, then 12" to the front of the module. The reason I went with 6" is because the AI drops off to far going further than that, and for comparison sake it just didn't make sense for this test. You could also argue that the way I have the Illumina and Radion hanging is actually front to back, instead of left to right. Take it for what you want, but the numbers give you an idea.

PAR Numbers

AquaIllumination
Center: 510
6" Left: 180
12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina
Center: 118
6" Left: 113
12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion
Center: 215
6" Left: 148
12" Forward: 130

From the conclusion through water at this height you can definitely tell what a difference directional optics can make.

The Illumina is not meant to be ran high off the water since it does not use any primary or secondary optics. If you have to run your fixture high up, I would not suggest going this route.

The Ecotech, while not using the typical optics we are familiar with, does use them and it's a good blend of good par values and spread at 12".

For SPS junkies that need to run their fixture high up off the surface of the water the AI would be the best choice here. While you can see the drop of PAR once you get out underneath the module itself, it's a real beast when you're directly under it. The downside is that you do need to run quite a few modules butted up together if you want a more smooth distribution of PAR levels within the tank. This could be both good and bad depending upon placement of corals in the tank.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote