der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutts View Post
Coral health is good indicator
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I don’t think the exact number is very important as long as u can tell if it’s lower then 5, in the 10 range or higher then 20.
And that.

Honestly I don't care if the number is 1.8 or 12 or whatever. To me, secondary indicators like coral health, the speed that film algae grows on the glass, and so on are more important than the number. I feel like consistency is more important than the absolute number. Then at least you know if something is off.

Ask yourself why you're dosing vodka. It's probably because you'r expecting a change in your system - less algae, different result with specific corals, etc. Why worry about the number when you can just pay attention to the specific result you're looking for?

I think you're right, it's easy to get caught up chasing numbers. But that's possible regardless of accuracy of the test kit. I know reefers who spend so much time worrying about test kit results that they don't spend any time actually looking at the tank and observing and learning - much less enjoying it.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote