View Single Post
Unread 12/01/2011, 08:50 AM   #110
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskelton View Post
LED scrubber light design considerations.

I would like to build a LED light for my scrubber. Aside from color considerations (I think Floyd’s experiment will answer that question) I wanted to discuss LED layout, LED wattage, lumen output, How many LEDs per square inch of screen, and optics v/s no optics. I was wondering if we have enough information yet to put together a basic rule of thumb. Kind of a getting started guideline from what others have made work so far.
I would do 50:50 630:660 for now.

As far as layout, as evenly distrubuted as you can get.

Recent results show that you can use 1/2 the total wattage versus T5HO, but you may want to go a little higher and then you can dial back the photoperiod; better to have more intensity and shorter period than less intensity and longer period. If you have a screen sized for feeding rate, I would suggest higher wattage/sq in. So 0.5-0.75 Q/sq in of screen (dimensional area, double sided screen, light on both sides) for a screen sized to the tank, and about 1W/sq in for a feeding-sized screen (which would be double the photosynthetically active algae spectrum over T5HO 3000K, effectively).

I do not suggest optics whatsoever, the point of optics is to drive the light down to the bottom of the tank, and we want the opposite - maximum spread = bare LEDs.

1W or 2W LEDs are great for distribution. One thing I've learned is that there is not much actual lumen output difference between 1W and 2W, it's not 2x like you would think, it's more like 1.1x, and 3W are not 3x a 1W, it's more like 1.8x (it's a marketing thing, hard to explain). This is why I chose a 1W fixture and I did 3/4" spacing.

LEDs get more efficient (on a lumens/watt basis) as you dim them so you could do 3W and dim them.

Remember that these are just educated guesses. I can't guarantee this will work perfectly. Just based on what I've read.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote