View Single Post
Unread 11/22/2017, 03:34 PM   #6
sfdan
Registered Member

Well the tank and sump arrived this week, and my first impression seeing it in the truck was... holy crap this thing is big. Playing around with the design in sketchup is one thing, but seeing the actual tank in the real world is incredible.

The top being so open is amazing, the center brace is barely going to interfere with anything and will be a very useful point of leverage when I'm reaching into the tank.

Beananimal overflow with 3 holes for 1.5" sch80 bulkheads (the original design was 2" but after crunching the numbers there was just no point in having them that big and it would have made the overflow box needlessly bigger).

Coast to coast overflow with two removable grates for easy cleaning.

The sump is also incredibly cool. Seeing this in person after all the various design iterations in Sketchup is even more rewarding than the tank. There is going to be so much real estate in here for all the equipment, and I don't think microbubbles will stand a chance with the long runs and baffles. The filter sock area is also really well done and if/when I want to run socks it will be super convenient.

The only change from the original design was to put the entry bulkheads both on the top of the sump and on the side, so when I'm plumbing it up I can use whichever entry point is more convenient. If I decide to go in through the top I'll just plug the ones on the side, and if I go in through the sides I can just keep the top ones open.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote