View Single Post
Unread 05/19/2017, 08:01 PM   #345
msderganc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Very strange that the body has a scratch on it. The skimmers are shipped in those nice cloth bags for to prevent scratches from the packaging. Where did you order this skimmer from? I wonder if it was handled before being shipped to you? Interestingly, the Double Cone 150's arrived at our facility in Ft. Myers at the same time as the Mini 160's so both should have been available at the same time which was a few weeks ago.

I have not tried putting latex or silicone between the base and the pump but like I said, mine quieted down after a week or two. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try it but depending on what you use, it may raise the pump ever so slightly and then the nozzle may not aling with the pump where it goes through the body. It's already a tight fit there to prevent water from coming out of the body between the nozzle and body. Once the pump and skimmer break in, the resonance that you hear should dissipate but if you do experiment, please let me know what your results are.
Will do. Just loosening the titanium bolts got it down 5db. I was concerned about the alignment as well. I ordered a bit of 1/25" silicone gasket material, which I think may be thin enough not to affect the alignment. Coming from China I think though, so it won't be here until June/July.

It was shipped direct from the Royal Exclusiv warehouse in Florida, and it had the cloth bag around it. So the scratches must have happened at the factory?

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote