View Single Post
Unread 03/19/2008, 11:05 AM   #7
mash2k
Registered Member

Aye cap'n,

I see you wasted no time *grin*

The following is why I prefer caulerpa:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mr.wilson
Chaeto is good if you want an algae that won't get sucked into pumps or spread throughout the sump. The down side is it's a slow grower, and it traps detritus. It also tends to grow in a large ball, with the areas exposed to light flourishing, while the greater shadowed area slowly dies off. The die off often goes unnoticed as the bound nitrate and and phosphate is returned to the system.

Algae will not grow well in a 24 hour photoperiod. Photosynthesis requires a six hour period of darkness for proper respiration. A 16 hour photoperiod will not lead to seasonal cues (shorter days) that cause algae to reproduce.

Allowing caulerpa to overgrow the space to the point of shadowing itself is the most common environmental cue (stress) for sexual reproduction. A shallow tray of caulerpa will grow quickly, remove more organics, will not crash (sexually reproduce), and will not trap detritus. Caulerpa is also more useful, as it's a food source for the fish in the display tank.

I really like what caulerpa does, but I also have read where there are some that use many combinations of Macro, or plants to get the best of all benefits. I may try this in the future.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef