View Single Post
Unread 11/26/2016, 06:11 PM   #29
andtsg
Registered Member

25 Nov 2016 - what i talk about when i talk about UV

Recently i heard of a few reefers tank was attacked by ich. It was a slow and painful process (i think) which lasted few weeks. In one case, it ended when the last fish, a beautiful angel, was killed by the ich.

I have advised many reefers to get an UV if they are really interested in keeping (reasonable number or more) fishes. The feeling of not having to worry about ich itself when introducing new fish is already worth way way more than the cost of a set of UV or two.

There are two main factors to remember when choosing any UV: contact time and contact time. UV can't kill **** if the water flow through it is very short.

From what I recalled, 4.x seconds is enough to kill vast majority of any parasites/ bacteria/ algae. Thus, slower flow is surely better in this case.

The other important about using UV is to change the bulb every 6 months (or as recommended). Please do not be lazy or cheap or both.

For the record, i have not encounter any ich eversince i use 2*9w UV for my 100l tank. Ich free since Mar 2015.

So please buy a few corals lesser and go get your UV. For your future fish and for clearer water.

Happy reefing.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

TRUTH 2: a fish is just a fish when you no longer love it...
andtsg is offline   Reply With Quote