View Single Post
Unread 04/02/2009, 10:29 AM   #594
adova
Premium Member

My build attempt

Hi All -

After much reading, I have deceided to tackle this project for my 225g tank (72 x 30 x 24h) - I would greatly appreciate any comments. Here is my plan:

Parts (major parts only) -

Heatsink - 2'
18 - Cree White LEDs mounted on star boards
18 - Royal Blue LEDs mounted on star boards
2 - Xitanium 25W 1050mA Off-line Dimming Driver (http://www.ledsupply.com/xi-led120a0024v10d.php )
2 - 120mm Fans
Wall Dimmer
Optics

Concept -

My desire is to create a lighting system with enough light to support a decent SPS colony. I am going to create 3 of these 2' panels which will run front to back on the tank. The 2' heat sink will have 2 groups of 18 LEDs (each group with 9 white / 9 blue) and each group will be spaced evenly on the heatsink.

I came up with the number 36 because each drive can handle 18 LEDs. I choose this driver because I can do without a power supply and it can be dimmed easily. Comparing the cost of this driver to 6 buck pucks and a power supply, this is a cheaper and more compact route.

Problems / questions:

* Is this going to be enough light? It doesn't feel like it, but at more than $600 per panel, adding another few panels gets cost prohibitive (or at least I might as well get the Aqua Illuminations with all of the toys)...
* Which type of optics should I be looking at?
* What can I do to power the fans without getting another power supply?

Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 240g Custom In Wall