View Single Post
Unread 05/27/2017, 08:04 PM   #373
flacousa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
You may critique to your hearts content, I won't take it personal. I have about 20 sunset shots I took that evening. This was more of a camera test than an attempt at being artistic. Set the camera on sunset mood, zoom out to where I wanted to be and shoot. It turned out OK for me.

So I look forward to your comments. I'm always looking to learn, it's half the reason I hang around at RC.

1st tip applies to sunsets, sunrises or landscapes in general, decides what grabs you most about the picture you are about to take, what looks more dramatic, above the horizon or below? Since in photography we have to deal with the rule of thirds most of the time you should avoid placing the horizon in the middle of the frame so you then decide if the sky looks stunning and the water looks blah then give the sky a bigger portion of the frame, sometimes as much as 75% - 25% or whatever percentage you decide, very seldom 50/50 unless the reflection on the water is as dramatic as the sky.

2nd tip horizon shots that contain water must be horizontally level, not as critical with mountains etc, I notice this problem more often with smartphone photos.

I liked you didn't place the sun in the middle of the frame.

Hope you can use my tips in future shots, and keep shooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flacousa is offline   Reply With Quote