View Single Post
Unread 06/01/2015, 08:51 AM   #20
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Everything online says between a 20g long and 55g. It's really variable on the tank contents, maintenance, etc.

Ever since I saw the recommendations from an dwarf angelfish (centropygae) breeder to house a breeding pair in a 30g tank, I've really started rethinking the requirements for size tanks for fishes.

Obviously you want minimum 4' running length for tangs, and you want copious amounts of liverock for wrasses and angels to pick on and eat out of, so I think if you can satisfy those requirements, then the tank recommendations can be adjusted accordingly.

I feed my fishes daily, and have a reasonably populous pod supply in the back fuge (though I contemplate removing it if I don't get the fishes, so that the algae isn't out-competing the corals for nitrates), so I don't worry about the fishes getting too hungry. The only fishes I really worry about starving to death are planktivores, which the clowns are the only ones who are true planktivores in my tank. The wrasses are mixed planktivores and grazers (for pods), the angel is largely a grazer only. I have a lot of live rock, supplemental refugium, and feed reasonably heavily, so I'm feeling okay.

We'll see. If I really **** it up, with too many fishes, then I can always re-home the wrasses. Who wouldn't want a trio of healthy flashing wrasses? Obviously I don't want to run into that scenario, but it's good to always have a plan B. Maybe if it became a problem, it would motivate me/us to set up a 10g tank for the clownfishes to breed in

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote