View Single Post
Unread 02/26/2001, 08:50 PM   #19
Doug
Reefkeeping Ninja

Lightbulb

Hey Guys,

The light bulb just came on and I think I finally understand the point that you are making.

From the article that Frisco referenced, what Mike pointed out and Mutagen verified as I am reading it even if the carbonates and bicarbonates are out of whack they will reach a point of equalibrium and the pH will stabilze wherever it should be based upon the amount of lack of CO2?

Here is where I am still fuzzy.

Now the issue that I have is that even though the rise in pH is temporary is it still possible that it will go too high. The reason that I ask is because of the high Calcium and Alkalinity demand in my tank I need to add buffer more often, sometimes everyday, to keep it above 2.0meg.

Mike, you make a good point about the inaccuracy of measuring pH and I understand but I have both a Neptune pH/orp meter and a Neptune Aquacontroller Pro on the tank and both read a pH of 8.45 as I am typing this. I have also tested it before with the two different brands of test kits and they read 8.4 when the meters say 8.4 or more. I also agree that the batch of Kent SB could be bad but I have also noticed the same rise in pH when using the Seachem Reef Builder product and the Kent liquid SB. You are right about me being shy when adding the buffers when the pH climbs too high. I do stop adding it for a day or two and the pH does drop back down as does the Alkalinity.

Now do you think that if I continue to add the buffer daily will the tank never reach an equlibrium because of the constant additions? Or will it eventually reach a point where the pH will reach a limit and not climb higher?

Brad, have you noticed this same effect with your tanks or has your pH remained stable? And what is your normal pH readings it you test them?

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Doug

Current Tank Info: 90g, and 75g swamp/prop tank.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote