View Single Post
Unread 03/11/2009, 07:51 PM   #245
Lutefisk
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lynxvs

All I offered was some opinions of the design that I saw was flawed. Here is a list of problems that I see so far whether you agree or disagree :

1. Total LED count per 24" is not enough for high PAR.
2. LED driver will not provide the current required.
3. Fan airflow should be perpendicular to heatsink cooling fins.
4. LEDs are can not be removed easily from heatsink.
5. Light must be placed close to the surface of the water because of the lack of optics.

All these problems can easily be fixed but soundwave and it seems most on this thread don't want to hear it......
I'll confess that my post is a reaction to your description of Soundwave's project as being "flawed." Sure, it may not be what you would do but until you build a LED lighting system and post details about it that would allow most reefers to build their own I would only be guessing.

At this point I guess I would have to take the option you offer of disagreeing on a practical basis.

I think that it would be safe to say that about anyone, including Soundwave, can do a better job based upon lessons learned from this project.

Let's keep this "fun" and be helpful rather than judgmental.

1. Total LED count per 24" is not enough for high PAR.
Some people use 150 watt MH and others use 1,000 watt. It all depends on what you're trying to do and want to spend. "Not enough" is very subjective.

2. LED driver will not provide the current required.
See #1

3. Fan airflow should be perpendicular to heatsink cooling fins.
Yes, it could be more effective but it still gets the job done.

4. LEDs are can not be removed easily from heatsink.
See goofyreefer's point #4

5. Light must be placed close to the surface of the water because of the lack of optics.
Must? Should? Could? You pick. Early in engineering I did a lot on paper. Later I learned from a brilliant engineer that it's often better, when you can, to just try it out and see what works best. Soundwave can see what it looks like as he raises and lowers the fixture. Can you?

Now of course I'll have to confess to doing the same thing to your post that I'm complaining about you doing to Soundwave's design

Have fun

Current Tank Info: 155 bow front plus misc other tanks.

Last edited by Lutefisk; 03/11/2009 at 08:01 PM.