View Single Post
Unread 02/20/2017, 04:46 PM   #126
Blink2824
Registered Member

Well, i've got an insane GHA outbreak. My hypothesis is the problem is three-fold: 1) too much natural daylight (I need new window treatments, BAD!). 2) Went for too long without running GFO (switched from my lifereef filter cylinders to the BRS reactor and I went without carbon and GFO for a little over a month. 3) My pukani base rock I added in with my live rock from the 75 gallon tank I transferred over is leeching some serious phosphates.

I went ahead and manually removed as much of the GHA as I can by siphoning and scrubbing rocks/frags. I replaced the GFO with fresh after testing the phosphates came back at .1 but i'm sure they are bound up in the GHA. I removed any GHA from the refugium as I think some of it had come free and ended up getting shot into the display tank to continue spreading. Just going to go with a tumbling ball of chaeto and my mangroves. I cleaned any detritus out of the sump and the filter pads. I did a 30% water change and now going lights out for two days.

I am getting estimates on window treatments and contemplating if I should throw a blanket over the windows in the meantime. The wife might need some convincing on this...

I can't stand an ugly display. Must. Win. Battle.

In the meantime I realized I have taken a special liking to shrooms and grabbed some cool discomosa and rhodactis. Should be here later this week!

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote