View Single Post
Unread 10/08/2018, 09:08 AM   #1
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Resealing a 150 gallon tank

I just found a great deal on a 150 gallon drilled tank, with a sump and alot of (dead) live rock that I couldn't pass up. I found out the reason the seller had the price listed so low was the tank has a minor leak at one of the bottom corners. He said he picked up a few tubes of aquarium silicon and was going to repair the leak, but I bought the tank as is so I could reseal the tank myself.

I'm glad I decided to reseal it myself because it appeared as though the seller was only going to scrape and reseal the corner that was leaking, not the whole tank. Of course that's no good since silicon won't stick to old silicone, so I am resealing the whole aquarium to make sure it is done right. I just got the tank yesterday and spend a good bit of time last night removing the old silicone on the rest of the inside of the tank.

I've got the bulk of the silicone removed, and will go over all seams several times with fresh razor blades to ensure all old silicone is removed and plan on wiping the glass at the seams with acetone to remove any residual silicone that the razors don't get.

although I was provided 2 tubes of marineland silicone, I decided to order Momentive RTV108 silicon and use that instead per my research online saying it is the best for resealing a tank. I will clean the tank out in the meantime and get it ready so once the caulking comes in I can get right on it. In the meantime, I plan on building a stand for the tank.

Any suggestions regarding sealing the tank, or building the stand are appreciated. This will be my first stand build, and my first time resealing a tank. I've read about building stands before, but not recently, so not sure what the best route would be. I'm planning on a 2X4 or 4X4 stand (or whatever size lumber is required)

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote