View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2019, 02:37 PM   #12
mmscuba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I read your post to start.. I often include information in posts on internet forums that will not only benefit you the original poster but others that may not be as "knowledgeable".

As to the ammonia levels..
Studies have show that as you near/exceed the 5mg/L limit you are getting to a level where you are potentially stunting bacterial development and potentially killing it vs feeding its growth..
Its commonly recommended to only dose up to 1 or 2ppm to stay clear of that peak point where growth turns to stunting.. 1 or 2ppm is more than sufficient to have a successful cycling process and effectively take care of new tank bioloads,etc..
Your original post also simply mentioned (dosing) which can indicate the act of dosing is still going on. I just didn't want you to continue dosing "if" you were still doing such.. You have reached a point (very commonly seen with excessive carbon dosing) where bacterial levels are high enough that this snot forms. That is typically a point that indicates an excessive level and lets you know to back down on the dosage..

OK, I see what you meant then. The fact that a higher ammonia rate will kill off the nitrosomonas is something I’ve never thought about but it makes sense. I guess I’ve just been lucky all these years and have never had a problem with extreme ammonia levels. Are usually start seeing nitrites when the ammonia level gets around 1 to 2 Ppm and then the Ammonia is gone shortly thereafter. So, going on your advice I am going to do a 60% water change this evening to bring those ammonia levels back down. What do you think?

mmscuba is offline   Reply With Quote