View Single Post
Unread 08/23/2016, 01:02 PM   #198
Nano sapiens
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmj View Post
So Nano_sapiens has undetectable nitrate & phosphate? Subsea you have the same? I thought PaulB claimed his were 20-40 (but that he doesn't really test).

I think people use skimmers and other products because they have nutrients problems. Obviously after a while everyone adds it b/c that's what they've always had to do. If we all had undetectable nutrients, there wouldn't really be a point (we'd be adding nutrients instead).

So the answer is... don't use a skimmer, don't use GAC/GFO, use bottled bacteria like StartSmart (or natural ala Paul B)... and then? This should be simple to test. Stop all those things and wait how long before everything fixes itself? Forgive me for trying to break things down into steps, it's kind of how my mind works.
A 'natural' system can show either high or low inorganic nutrients (NO3, PO4) just like any other. The difference is mostly due to how the system is setup and managed.

Low inorganic nutrients says little about the levels of organic nutrients, however (one can be very low, the other relatively high). Corals can use both, but in nature on a pristine ocenaic reef they use mostly organic nutrients they get from various organisms since the levels of inorganic nutrients are typically very low.

No aquarium system will 'Fix itself' without some intervention. There is no doubt that skimmers will remove some nutrients, but there are many other nutrient export pathways that are not as selective as skimmers are. For those not using products like skimmers, GAC, GFO, etc., regular water changes and detritus capture/removal can do the trick and his is what has allowed me to keep my 12g healthy for over 8 years with no signs of deterioration (it actually gets better each year ).

Nano sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote