View Single Post
Unread 12/18/2017, 07:29 AM   #15
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdisease View Post
Interesting. I went down the LED rabbit hole last night and haven't made it back to the MH/T5 fixtures yet. It seems that the 3 x 400W is in the same price range as 2 x 32" Reef Breeders Photon V2. The V2 has an equivalent of 500W (1000W total) while the Hamilton has 1200W MH / 320W T5 (1520W) total so that's a consideration.

I've always been a fan of softies but I'd like to keep a mixed LPS/SPS tank this time around. I would imagine with the Photons (or anything with that wattage) I'd be able to keep SPS on the upper rocks and SPS on the bottom, but I wonder about too much light for LPS/softies with the Hamilton. Is that actually a concern?
With that fixture you can keep sps anywhere in the tank. I have a V2 50" over my 20" deep, 125g tank. And with that you get sunrise/sunset control which the family may enjoy, and 6 channels of color control without shopping and buying extra bulbs. As jda has said before, leds do create shadows and that is a bit of an issue with some sps. But I never found it to be a big deal.

My tank was 75% sps and doing great until a chiller malfunction made it run all night and super cool my tank. I lost almost all my sps and fish. The zoas and anemones survived and that fixture makes them grow like weeds. Not to mention the tank looks like Pandora at night (the movie Avatar) when the corals fluoresce under blue sunrise and sunset!