Thread: Weeds
View Single Post
Unread 01/30/2019, 06:01 AM   #638
Subsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
Your explaination is exactly what I thought. I figured that you couldn't possibly have enough pods yet so I figured that you must be feeding. In fact I also did not think your size tank could sustain the blennies but I couldn't remember how many you had. (I read a thread years ago where a seeded 40 gallon breeder tank was tried out to keep dwarf seahorses. It could almost keep 2 but had to be reseeded from time to time. The dwarf seahorses were eating pods, and mysid larvae shrimp. It would work until the seahorses ate the adult mysid.) Anyway then I began to wonder what foods would be best to start the food webs or even if that mattered. Maybe detritus and fish wastes in any form work. I am trying to understand the workings of your tank for future reference.
BRS TV video series Friday release was on coral nutrition and was quite advanced tying in to a 6 part Advanced Aquaria series on Coral nutrition by Dana Riddle. It was quite an eye opener. Between BRS, World Wide Coral and Triton Method research scientist there was much agreement that to run a reef tank requires a lot of food input. Surprisingly, the single biggest component in a reef tank nutrition to coral was fish feces kept in suspension with turbulent flow.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote