View Single Post
Unread 10/24/2013, 01:38 PM   #3
SGT_York
Registered Member

That will create problems.

The trick is balancing the water in the overflows. If you use one overflow for a siphon and open channel all of your water will flow to that one overflow leaving the other emergency, return stagnant. So you can fill it with sand and live with the issues or reconfigure the drains.

If you use siphon dry emergency in one return and open channel in the other there are issues with the overflows both trying to run 50% of the water capicity the issue with this option is that the open channel if not set PERFECTLY will not be managed by the siphon and will generally try to suck in way too much water or raise the water in the display creating all sorts of additional problems. Essentially you have one herbie and one durso if you go this route and the durso won't be quiet. You want the water level to be set by your overflow walls not the durso which means you need the open channel with the siphon line.

I have tried three different methods and realized the BA just doesn't work with dual reef ready overflows. You can drill an additional hole in each and it will work fine. You can go with two herbies which works fine but you need to run your return over your tank unless you drill another hole. I joined both herbies into one gate valve but there are plumbing difficulties you need to research before going that route.

There is another method where someone altered the overflows placing a 1" pipe connecting the two near the bottom hidden. Theory sounds good but I've never tried it as it's just too much risk/work.

If you can drill the additional holes in the side. If not go with the two herbies and ensure you have a good method to keep algae/snails out of the siphon lines.

Congrats on the tank 210's are great dimensions.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote