View Single Post
Unread 10/29/2013, 09:29 AM   #15
SGT_York
Registered Member

Yes you can combine the overflows or, "bridge" like uncle stated, into one but the process of adding a round pipe or trough to a curve is difficult and unless done at the bottom can be an eyesore. Diameter of the connecting pipe needs to be significant as well. You can get creative and come up with a good rectangular trough that would look acceptable, but if you are that good with handyskills just redo the overflows, as the reef ready overflows are crap.

Ca1ore, I bet your water level in the durso is fairly even with the water in the display tank??? You can't be pushing 50% of your water return through a durso that is remotely quite but if it is just a bit of water all is well. If it works for you than great, have you tried blocking off the siphon to see what happens? 10X turnover in a sump is on the high side, especially with the new DC powerheads.

Drilling a new siphon line in the back of the tank is probably the best bet for a reef ready tank using the existing holes for emergency/open channels, but based on the OP's comment about a 4th hole you're probably not considering that.

Two separate herbies work fairly well slight balancing and sustainment issues, using the dry emergency with a slight trickle solves those issues with risk, thousands of herbie's work just fine. A joint herbie works if done right, do significant research before starting that approach or you will have issues.

The most important thing to do is ensure that snails and algae stay out of the overflows. I highly recomment placing a lid over each overflow that will keep the light and snails out. (mine has a few holes in the back just in case water goes over the overflow due to teeth cloggs. I tried the strainer approach but it would need to be maintaned as algae would restrict the flow too often for my likes.

Last edited by SGT_York; 10/29/2013 at 09:41 AM.
SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote