View Single Post
Unread 01/13/2016, 11:45 AM   #66
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredded View Post
Polypropylene Sheets are from Eplastics.com. 0.250 x 48 x 72 - 88.92
I was kind of going to do the same thing, in reverse. RE has a refugium in stock in Florida. It just so happens the size matches my sump size but the outlet is plumbed on the right instead of the left. I thought I might move the top off tank to the right, put the refugium on the left and let a branch off of the overflow feed the refugium directly and then plumb the output into an extra input to the sump? Seems like a good place for it, but I guess my only question is if I was using this to cultivate pods, would any pods survive or even make it back to the main tank going thru the filter socks, then skimming, then possible UV exposure all the way to the return pump.

Well... like I said before, you can't be in a hurry. I think the line forms at the rear. lol If you get out of line you have to start over. But... If you are spending this kind of money, be sure you are happy and don't settle if you won't like it. They want you to be happy also.

The socks will trap the pods and the skimmer will also remove them. As such, you wouldn't want the refugium draining to the intake section or the skimmer section. It should ideally drain to any compartment after the skimmer compartment. UV exposure at rates of 90,000 µw/cm2 or higher won't hurt the pods. I run mine between 60,000 µw/cm2 and 70,000 µw/cm2 based on my flow rates although I do slow mine down at night when my RD3 closed loop slows way down for power savings and lower flow when the lights are off. Mine is however on a closed loop and I am not worried about the impact from that on my pod populations.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote