View Single Post
Unread 06/12/2009, 08:42 PM   #56
Murph72
Registered Member

Sanjay,
Thanks so much for your offer. I'm so bummed we lost the leathers we got from you. They were my favorite thing in the tank since the BTAs were all something I already had. I think a few little ones survived, but we'll have to wait to see if they make it.

The janitor hooked up an every day toilet float...you know, like you have in the tank of your commode. He had it set so that it would turn on the R/O water if the sump dropped below a certain point. It worked, from what I'm told, for about a week before the "incident" occurred. The float stuck (not uncommon as I've had that in my own commode, but it has only lead to a waste of water). It left the R/O water running into the sump for an undetermined amount of time sometime over the weekend when nobody was in the school. When the teacher found the tank on Monday morning, there was water all over the floor and the tank was looking stark, with the exception of the fish and a few obviously tough little corals that were all shriveled up.

The janitor meant well and the Science teacher didn't think it was a bad idea, so he never told Tim and I that it was done. He thought it would save him from overflowing the tank (which he has done a few times, but not of this magnitude) when he used the R/O system to run water into the sump due to evaporation and then forgot to shut it off. We learned off it only after the Science teacher held it up out of his lab sink and said, "I think this was the culprit." That cheap solution cost us hundreds of dollars worth of coral...ARRGHHH!!! Totally frustrating, but I know they both meant well. It's just that they didn't know any better.

Murph72 is offline   Reply With Quote