View Single Post
Unread 09/14/2018, 02:05 PM   #4
KnightMetro
Registered Member

History and let the madness begin.

I have had a few tanks over the years but most were weak attempts mixed with moving too often and too many life changes to succeed.

Biocube 29, 14, 90g custom I never finished, and then a 120g I was really proud of that never got water in it(moved). I finally got a nice 30g rimless cube setup when I was in Alaska. I started to get some small automation going and it was OK for a while until a baby arrived.

Anyway, now that I can finally have all the excuses to do it right, here are my initial thoughts and research points.

- Fish room will be in the basement. I have never done this before but I have plenty of room in the 1,000sq ft space to carve out dedicated resources.
-Roller mat filtration. I am researching options. This is so new that it is hard to nail anything down in gen 1.
-The tank will be 40" base height and made to be viewed in the kitchen next to where an island will be installed with bar seating. Base will match bar height. top of tank will be at 64".
-Tank wall will be a textured wood wall made of distressed and shou sugi ban pine. Yeah, I play around with a bit of word working ideas of grandeur.

Example

Right now I am getting ready to cut out the tile and backer board on the floor for the space where the stand frame will sit. I'll be making the stand out of 3/4" plywood so I have a base I can make drawers into and cabinets. These won't be used for the tank, as the plumbing goes to the basement, but it will give us some extra storage in the kitchen.

I have about 40lbs of dry rock on the way from a supplier I got at $1.10lb so I can see what I'm working with. If I like it, I'll order a few more boxes and start playing around with aquascaping.

The tank is due to be in the SCA warehouse at the end of this month. I should have it here at home by mid October.

KnightMetro is offline   Reply With Quote