View Single Post
Unread 06/09/2018, 01:58 AM   #1
Sandman182
Registered Member

Peacock mantis leaves burrow only to feed?

Hello all,
I have owned my Peacock mantis for a little more than a month now. It is a very healthy female by all accounts and is roughly 4” in length and is very docile. She rarely leaves her burrow except to feed. My question is this: Is this normal behavior? I have read some of you on this forum have very active animals that explore every inch of their tank. I realize each animal is an individual and behaviors can vary. My water parameters are spot on and am using a piece of black 2” PVC pipe for her burrow that is a long u-shape(approx. 14” in total length with openings on each end) and provides her with complete darkness. I use only blue actinic lighting over her tank and never use stronger “white” or “day” lighting. She is fed raw,shell on shrimp soaked in Selcon and frozen clams on the half shell(again, soaked in Selcon) and also readily attacks the occasional emerald crabs placed in the tank. She will not eat silversides or krill. I feed her every 2 days and alternate the 2 food types. She closes up each end of her burrow at the end of the day with coral rubble and snail shells and each morning opens up both ends of her burrow for the day but only comes out to feed. She is very docile and maybe she is very happy I guess. Would appreciate any info or suggestions on whether her staying holed up in her burrow is normal or abnormal behavior. Thanks in advance and apologies for writing a book...lol

Sandman182 is offline   Reply With Quote