Thread: New TOTM?
View Single Post
Unread 04/05/2018, 09:44 PM   #9
shih87
Registered Member

Here is my view and hope it is not offend anyone.

I think I was the last TOTM (4.2016) when it was still ran by Walton. While some email exchange between us during my write-up process, I observes a few things demotivate reefers to try hard...

1. The homepage is stay at an early TOTM (Anand Kaimal, Nov. 2015) without updated. It could be some technical challenge or HR challenge, but the result is clearly as I stated....RC homepage stay at an old TOTM link.

2. TOTM list. It seems stop at 2015. For new TOTM tanks, you need to know where to click to get through and here it is…http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/in...efkeeping-blog

3. Jesse run a few more(?) in 2017, but it is even harder to find this new TOTM articles, at least I don't know how. Except searching key words like "RC TOTM 2017" via Google search.

4. I DO think once LED kick-in, something become more complicated (good and bad). As my experience of visiting a few local reefers' tanks that I felt deserve my time and effort to learn, but end of many of them have to see under LED, otherwise, it is just a normal tank. However, there are a few no matter LED or T5, look fantastic. Saying that, I believe it do make RC TOTM harder to find good tanks through pictures.

5. Maybe some incentive? When I received RHM (Reef Hobbyist Magazine) invitation to write something. I got three paper copies to easy share with my friends when they visit my tank. It is not a big thing but feel great. Though I understand RHM org and way to run the business it is way different than RC.

6. The 2nd biggest Reef Forum in US, still run their featured tank an organized way and easier to find, if we compare to. (Note: you can also found my tank as a featured tank there much easier)

While I treat RC TOTM tank nomination requirements (see below list and link at http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/totm/index.php) still the principle and best way to judge a good tank or normal tank, I sincerely hope RC TOTM can come back as before.

* How long has the system been running?
* How do the corals and livestock look?
* Is the reef visually appealing, or does anything detract from it (frag racks, PVC, dirty glass)?
* What do the pictures look like (are the colors realistic)? Are the images good enough to use?
* Does the reef look natural, or like a fruit-vendor stand? Have the corals grown in, or does it look like the owner spent significant funds to get an instant-reef?
* Has the tank been featured in any other magazines (print or online)?
* What is the hobbyist’s philosophy when it comes to reef keeping?
* Is the tank a good example for others to emulate, thus qualifying as a future Tank of the Month?

I don't know others, but I got most of my reefing knowledge in RC/Reefkeeping in last 10 years, while other place like Facebook and Youtube, just like some show case places.

BTW, now it is a video world ;-) and you are welcome to comment my tank video here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgE6OGhQlmY&t=3s

Sincerely,

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019

Last edited by shih87; 04/06/2018 at 02:03 AM.
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote