View Single Post
Unread 09/15/2017, 10:08 AM   #554
karimwassef
Registered Member

So each "hair" is basically one long visible bacterial chain... one long bacteria holding on (how?) to another bacteria ?

Could the smaller bacteria create more he "forest floor" matting and the longer ones be the hair?

Are they all cyano or different kinds?

Chemiclean disperses it temporarily so I knew cyano was in there but I expected it to be a "matrix" that grew under the hair.

Bacteria = no macro predators that'll eat it.
My urchins will go there as a last resort but with all the coralline, they don't bother any more.

I assume that the easiest solution is local application of peroxide combined with an antibiotic and chemiclean.

I have no cyano films anywhere in the tank and no algae except at the coral tips where no fish, snail or crab can reach. So it's not nutrient loading (no measurable N or P due to the monster ATS).

Since it grows by encrusting the high light & flow areas, I'm assuming it must be heavily photosynthetic.. but I would expect those zones to be colonized by regular old green hair. Maybe my rabbit is too efficient at eliminating anything green so I've created an artificial ecological space for this bacteria (that my rabbit won't eat).

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote