View Single Post
Unread 03/03/2018, 10:51 AM   #83
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
Thanks for sharing the new tank John! I am curious, did you collect many new acros for this tank? If so let's see em How do you go about making sure no pests enter your system? Have you had any coral pests before? I would love to see this setup in person!
I do have a number of Acros I haven't shown... I'll get new pics soon and share them... I go through two levels of QT for all new additions... the first thing I do is set up a temporary quarantine... before things go into my quarantine tank... I use a simple 10 or 20 gallon... with one of my Kessils over the top...

Like all old school guys I dealt with SPS pests in the past... fortunately I left them in the past in the early 2000s. I remember I had Joe Burger (JBNY here on RC) over my old apartment in maybe 2002... all SPS guys had red bugs on their Acros, and Dustin Dorton had come up with the Interceptor treatment... Joe gave me the warm fuzzy and I treated not long after... since then I've used Interceptor for red bugs... not long after that we found out about AEFW. Many acros were killed trying to get rid of those back in the day... and fortunately now we have better dips and protocols... including Bayer.

When I get new Acros they first go into a bucket for about 24 hours to recover from the stress of shipping... in the bucket I do at least a double dose of Interceptor... which takes care of any potential red bugs. After the 24 hours they get a dip in Bayer and into the first stage of QT... I'll monitor... and after three or four days do another dip in Bayer... then another three or four days and another Bayer dip... if I see nothing they will go into my fully set up 60 gallon QT tank, where I forget about them for a few months and let them grow in... I am 100% sure they have nothing when they go into the 60 gallon second stage QT... so that is just an extra layer. You can see that system here... has a 250 watt 20K Radium and Avast Marine Skimmer... a full setup where anything can thrive...

The photo above also shows my the RO/DI I plumbed in. I run RO/DI water all over the house... to my fish room to fill the top off and water change vat... to the water change vat for my fish QTs that I showed earlier, and to this RO/DI vat shown above. In the vat above I use gravity to my advantage... and have 3/4" plumbing going to a few different places outlined in red. It shoots to the left to tweak the water level of my 200 gallon water change water vat if necessary, and then down to the floor for when I need to fill a five gallon bucket with RO/DI... it also shoots to the right where I have two ball valves... one to fill the topoff water to my coral QT tank near the floor, and the other goes into the sink... I rinse all of the frozen food I feed in RO/DI water in a net, so that I limit the nutrients going in to just the food the fish are eating... and not the soupy water that remains when the frozen food is thawed...

With a quick swap out of the union in the bottom left of the above picture I add an extension to fill the 55 gallon tank that serves as the topoff for my large reef system... this allows me to monitor how much I'm evaporating and know if there was ever a leak in the system, and eliminates the potential catastrophe of an endless stream of topoff water going into the system and dropping the salinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
Wow ,one amazing build thread and a dream tank .
Any idea who sells those angels and hybrid tangs.
Depends which fish you mean... some are unavailable and others are obtainable if you know where to look...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only

Last edited by copps; 03/03/2018 at 11:05 AM.
copps is offline   Reply With Quote