View Single Post
Unread 05/16/2007, 02:55 PM   #43
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wampas
the last bushel of oysters I bought I decided o add some of them to my tank. This was about 3 months ago or so. I acked them them by placing them in a larege bowl and adding a small amount of tank water all day until the bowl was full (thus slowly bringing them up to room temp). Then I placed a air stone in the bowl for about an hour before I went to bed. The next morning I did a app. 50% water change on the bowl from my tank. I then let them set for app. 4 hours and them added them to my tank. Of the 4 large oysters I added all of them all still alive and doing great! I also placed some little neck clams in my tank and they are also doing good. Hope the info helps....
Yes it does, thank you! That was my initial goal, to keep some oysters alive too, hence my goal of using a natural unskimmed filtration method with heavy use of macro algae for nutrient export. Also, I was hoping to find a bunch of tunicates to put in the fuge as well and a few other filter feeders too for more filtration. I may have to supplement feeding to keep them alive with purchased planktonic foods, but still it would be very cool to succeed at this.

I have no idea what problems I will encounter. Algae blooms are a primary concern, also perhaps parasitism... I have a QT system already in place, so maybe that will help.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote