View Single Post
Unread 05/21/2017, 04:10 AM   #21
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Jason, I agree with you and all you have said here. But this comment is the one that hits home the most with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
To add, just because a kit offers high resolution doesn't make it more accurate. There are certain parameters where high resolution can be beneficial. Some like Alk high resolution could be beneficial to some and others not at all. The recommended range for alk is rather wide from 7dkh to 11dkh.
I think way too many people see higher resolution as the same thing as being more accurate.

It's kind of like the use of a refractometer over a hydrometer. I 'calibrated' 2 hydrometers to a calibrated refractometer some 5 or 6 years ago. Both hydrometers were not accurate. So I marked each with the error rate, one read 0.005 to low and the other was 0.003 to low. For several years I used the hydrometers and every 3 or 4 months I'd double check them with a freshly calibrated refractometer. Occasionally the refractometer needed a slight adjustment to be accurate, but the hydrometers always have the exact same error rate as they did the very first time I tested them. Yet many people say hydrometers are junk. If it has finer resolution and/or costs more, it must be better...