Thread: Starting again!
View Single Post
Unread 12/14/2018, 05:35 PM   #6
elefink
Regurgitated Fender

I just filled the tank today. It's a BioCube 32 LED. We could probably fit a giant tank in the house, but I honestly don't want to cope with keeping the kids out of it. The 32 gallon will be in my former office, new hobby room. (I had to retire at 40 with a spinal cord injury.) I'm still taking the office apart after not setting foot in there most of the last 2 years since I stopped working, but we're working on getting all that stuff out of there now.

So my husband bought me the BioCube for our 11th wedding anniversary. I pulled down an 85 gallon tank when I moved from Chicago to Washington, DC to get married. He's talked about me getting back into the hobby (as have I) for years, but it's always seemed a huge thing to start up. Plus babies. The kids are old enough to "help" now.

So we put in the heater, saltwater, and 20lbs of Bemini Pink Arag-Alive. I'm not sure if I need more sand yet. I'd like to find a place that sells the sort of sand you used to get out of that place in Terre Haute, IN, Inland Aquatics. They had a sand inoculation kit with tiny brittle stars and stuff. I can't find a place that sells anything like that anymore.

I'm really impressed with the lights. Setups like that would have cost twice the price of the tank, hood, and stand a decade ago. I'm now looking into whether to get the paired skimmer or something else. My husband is good with soldering (he's a biomedical engineer who has built tiny stuff like angioplasty balloons by hand, so he can do the electronics and solder in more lights if we need.)

I wanted the Bemini Pink sand because it's my ambition to have a peaceful tank with a few softies, some brightly colored polyps, and eventually a fancy tridacna clam specimen to grow up and take up space. I would really like a pearly head jawfish, which I never had in any other tank, and I think they need the sand with a wide range of particle size. So there it is.

The live rock will go in in early January at the latest. Any recommendations for really premium rock with lots of life preserved on it would be appreciated.

Current Tank Info: Returning to hobby after a 10 year hiatus with a Biocube 32.
elefink is offline   Reply With Quote