View Single Post
Unread 03/08/2018, 08:15 PM   #33
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
All you people against foam, with all your excuses against it, do realise that I'm talking about polystyrene foam, and people have been putting their tanks on top of thin sheets of it, successfully, for years!
I'm not against foam, I just understand it's purpose and what it does, I'm a contractor that's been doing cabinets and kitchens for many years, and often that means very large islands or peninsula's w/ very heavy granite or other stone.

Those companies would not gaurantee their products if I just laid a sheet of foam down, and believe me, if I thought it would work, it would make my job that much easier.

Our tanks are very much the same principle, and I bet if you contacted the tanks manufacturer they would require a shimmed level cabinet, and some will require foam padding between tank and cabinet to alleviate pressure points of minor surface deviations.

THAT part I agree has been done many years(depending on tank manufacturer)

I know the foam under a stand may sound like a good idea, but it's not, shims are needed at floor, and foam may be used between tank and stand, and that will vary among tank manufacturers, and usually that is for non trimmed tanks where glass is in direct contact w/ surface of stand only, a protective barrier between the two, NOT TO LEVEL.

If you had a tank that was 1/4" low on one side, no matter how many sheets of foam you put under it, it will still be 1/4" out of level.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD

Last edited by davocean; 03/08/2018 at 08:33 PM.
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote