View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeferman1019 View Post
Looking nice there! Both tanks using Photons V2? I'm guessing you like LED over T5. There is just so much opinions out there on each type of lighting option. I just want something to grow LPS, SPS while keepin it simple.
I admit that t5 do a slightly better job of growing healthy coral, but it's not like leds can't. In fact they do it quite well. My reasons for choosing leds over t5 are these:

1) no heat (my fans are thermally controlled and never run as the fixture is at room temp all the time!)
2) sunrise/sunset/moonlight control (only one expensive t5 fixture can do that)
3) 6 channel color control without having to buy and replace bulbs
4) no bulbs to replace (I had MH/t5 hybrids and I save enough in replacement bulbs to pay for my led fixtures in just 4 years)
5) one button mode change (I can show off my coral fluorescence by going all blue with a single button, and I can go full sunny or moonlights the same way)
6) good looking, slim (1" thick) fixture that is very modern looking
7) my acro and digi sps corals grow fast enough that I'm selling frags all the time

This tank has been running 6 months and this photo is from about 2 months ago: