View Single Post
Unread 01/10/2019, 11:35 AM   #8
mmscuba
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
That is what we call "bacterial snot" which is a bacterial bloom likely caused by an excessive amount of ammonia (maintaining it at 4ppm is totally wrong and excessive)..

Please stop dosing ammonia and let the tank finish its cycle on its own (let ammonia and nitrite levels drop to zero naturally).. again STOP adding ammonia.. That is what caused this excessive bacterial bloom..
DO not add anything to the tank except fresh water (no salt) to make up for what evaporates. Just let it clear itself and finish cycling naturally.. I'd expect a few weeks for it to finish the cycle and to recover from this..
I can appreciate your concern but in case you didn’t read my original post I’ve been doing this for over 30 years, so far from a newb here bro. The top off water is pretty standard knowledge, and I am running an ATO with RODI water.

And why do you say 4ppm ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle is too high? Everyone I know uses that stars. 1ppm percday over 4 days until level is 4ppm and then justvwait and let nature take its course.

mmscuba is offline   Reply With Quote