View Single Post
Unread 02/12/2011, 06:51 PM   #4
smithj108
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
the only way to do this nicely is to have the vertical edges of the glass beveled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by widmer View Post
Rapidfire thoughts:
It sounds like you're making the bottom way too complicated, why not just use glass?
I guess the real reason is a lack of confidence in my capability. I'm really worried if I do, I'm only guaranteeing myself a cracked bottom glass one day - especially after some settling time has passed.

Most store-bought tanks use plastic bracing and plastic framing on the bottom. I don't have this material so if I were to assemble a 100% glass tank I still need to create some kind of bottom framing (most likely out of wood). So that thought then lead to - if I'll be using wood, why not go full wood bottom, etc...

So I'm bouncing back and forth to tell the truth.

As far as the bevel, I'm going to at least approach the glass supplier on this. Not sure if these folks can do that (I'm sure any major vendor could). I do like the idea of an inner strip of glass however.

Next question: to temper, or not to temper. The supplier can do either. Should I go with harder thinner glass or weaker yet thicker glass? They also can get low iron hi vis glass - not sure the price jump yet.

Thanks!

smithj108 is offline   Reply With Quote