View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2012, 12:37 PM   #335
Allmost
Moved On

I dont know ...

live rock is used as surface area for bacteria to colonize .... how can we say if its enough or not ? how do we tell how pronous the rock is ? the simple 1 lbs per gallon is like the old Watt per gallon rule ... outdated and doesnt stand no more ! I have about 45 lbs of LR in my 200 G system !

cycle ... if live rock with dead patches were placed in, and no ammonia is tested after a couple of days, that mean the tank has cycled .. not sure what franklypre meant, or why he is putting corals in a none cycled tank !

I do not know Galleon personally ... but he is experienced, he knows what he is doing. and in fact I really like this set up, as I have argued about amount of LR needed in the past ALOT .. and this is the first prime example supporting my case [less live rock would mean better flow through it, so we can take advantage of ever mm of it.....

if it was me, I would add a bucket as sump with nothing but water, cause I know I suck at dosing down to the ml ... lol [just to make it easier to dose different things]

at the end, galleon is one of those ppl who I am here to learn from ! I have never had the pleasure of working profesionally in the field ! he has ! now I dont mean this part about you mammoth, you are also experienced and know what you are doing [and have a great and successfull tank ] ... but to see SOME OTHER ppl, who are new to hobby [less than 5 years] and still havent been able to get the result they wanted come here and say his set up wont work just doesnt sit right iwth me ... u know what I mean ? but sadly that's part of many new reefers journey ... ppl in my area who I have set up tanks for 3 years ago try to correct me on my local forums lol I obv stopped posting there ...

I hope you know what I mean lets be more supportive of another follow Experienced hobbyist, proving some myths wrong.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote